Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Patter

Tomorrow I’ll be moving all of my delightful crud into my new room.
I have a sensation in my belly, which is similar to one I get every New Year’s Eve.
Some sort of transition will occur over night,

At the moment the room is empty and acoustically fun.
I wonder what kind of shadows it will have on the wall every morning and night.
My last room had beautiful shadows in the evening if the sun happened to be around that day.

The roof points in this little wooden loft I am in currently. For the last few nights I have been aware of the moon and it’s journey of beams up one side of my roof, touching the point as I lay in bed directly underneath, and then down the other side and eventually escaping across and away to the other side of the city.

From one side of the room the window faces east and I can see the Mountains.
The other side’s window faces west and I can see the other Mountains.
It is hard to explain to anyone how much this excites me.
Perhaps it stems from “Dunderklumpen” the first movie I ever saw. Perhaps engaging with a live Mountain was a reality for me for many years. Hmmm I’ve gone all reflective here haven’t I. Well it’s a nice change I suppose.

Actually. Yesterday I accidentally watched Totoro again. I nipped over to see P + D to show them a William Kentridge video. I took Totoro on the off chance they might like to watch it also. I really intended to stay for five minutes.

So then we watched it. It triggered different parts of my being this time. Watching Mei playing around with tadpoles and buckets I found myself engaged in a feeling that evoked something of my own childhood experiences. It was so nice fiddling and building in mud, or devoting a whole day to discovering new insects and chasing them to see what they felt like.

Discovery.

It fascinates me that Miyazaki (the director) depicted big fat cute Totoro standing close to a really ugly (in comparison) realistic looking frog. With an equally “ugly” croak.
Mei looks exactly like a frog when she pokes at the tadpoles.
There are such lovely subtleties entwined in Miyazaki’s film.

There is a pattern inside tonight’s blog entry that moves through Miyazaki’s film, chasing insects all day, and the process of improvisation. It’s a very soft pattern, indeed so quiet I’ll call it a patter. To which I will listen to as I drift off to sleep in the last night in the loft.


Pellegnillot


No comments: