Monday, July 19, 2004

.
.
.
.
.
.
Improvisation links.

Melbourne Playback Theatre Company
Playback Theatre is a unique form of improvised theatre, presented by a team of professional actors and a musician.
A  performance is led by a conductor, who facilitates the sharing of audience stories and experiences. The actors and musician then re-enact stories,
using a variety of improvisational forms. The immediacy of group and personal experiences is transformed by the power of theatrical performance. Playback may be humorous, poignant or revealing all in the same show. Playback is a mirror to the experiences of the audience.
The Melbourne company is part of a world-wide network of independent Playback Theatre Companies

I'll be chatting to Daniel Diessendorf (from Playback) tomorrow about improvisation. I'll be asking about the technique and process Playback use and why one would improvise.


What I am searching for today are reference-able definitions of improvisation in varying art forms, mediums and creative practices. I am finding it hard to word and or express with clarity ( in my paper) WHY one would improvise. Even though the answer sits close to my heart. So there it is, my words come out sounding so esoteric and whimsyfluff. This is actually something I have felt right from the word go with this paper, which almost lead me to write on other matters. So here is my challenge.

Here. Theres a good definition on the Canberra Playback site.

No comments: