Saturday, July 17, 2004

.
.
.
.
Krazy Kat

.
.
.
.
.

I've just watched Origins of American Animations 1900-1921.
It included some splendiverous animations of George Herriman's Krazy Kat.
Krazy Kat Goes A-Wooing was animated by Leon Searl. It is lovely but seems to lack the true Herriman touch.
Krazy Kat - Bugologist feels more in tune with the sensibility that is apparent in the Krazy Kat comics. Krazy Kat - Bugologist was the only one actually directed by Herriman himself it seems. These are both fromm 1916, Hearst/International Film Service.


Men's Styles
A very lovely animation animated by Harry S. Palmer and produced by the Gaumont Company.
Arthur "Pop" Momand's comic strip (1913), "Keeping Up With the Joneses", was the basis for this 1915 animation.

It is so nice to see the act of drawing filmed/animated in this way. I'm refering to the first part of the animation where Pa McGinnis is being drawn and we see the artist's hand. I believe you were called a "lightening cartoonist" if you used this technique. I'll have to clarify that.

The technical (straight ahead) process of "lightening cartooning" is close to McClaren's pastel method and Kentridge's charcoal method of animating, in that it is a drawing being captured at various stages in time by the camera rather than a series of drawings filmed in sequence to create animation. "Lightening Cartooning" appears to be more about capturing the process of (one) drawing rather than improvising an idea. Could it be used as a technique to improvise ? Well yes it could if you used the technique to create a character in the moment as you filmed. You could do an Exquisite corpse ( that Surrealist drawing game).
Fizzog McInnes showed me an animation jam he did with David Williams that was improvised. It contained alot of morphing and was quite funny. I'll up load it here soon. It was a hand drawn on paper animation.

+animated drawings
+drawings animated

++++thinking about the function of this blog++++
Essentially many of my posts contain investigative notions that pertain to definitions that are solidifying in my Ma paper and are as yet not clarified in this blog. For the sake of contextualising my journey of research I feel I should include a more structured delivery of these definitions. However they are still being fluffed up and spread out in my drafts and thus I like to utilize this blog as the "Open Slather" component of my research.

I just thought of the names for a couple of cartoon characters I shall have to draw. They are called "Cathart" and "Procrast"

No comments: