Thursday, January 27, 2005

Herriman and Toots

A small revelation relating to my animation, Toots.

"Toots" was infact named after George Herriman's daughter "Toots"


A still from "Toots"


Herriman and his daughter "Toots"

Upon some exhuberant discussion about "Toots" (the animation) with Bernard Caleo (a fellow George Herriman keenster)... I realised a fatal flaw in my homage to Herriman. You see the mysterious fellow in a hat whom with Toots encounters a delightful, firey romance with..is infact based on Mr George Herriman. Eeek.

tsk tsk tsk, fancy that.

George Herriman


A still from Toots

Current Research Ponderings:
I have been thinking about the Peter Foldes' animation, "La Faim (Hunger)" made in 1974. The technique gives a very eery, perhaps nightmareish result. I have been trying to recollect other such animations. "Words and Pictures" children's tv show is one. It featured the "Fffffat Ffffairy" , and was hosted by a man who resembled a cross between Simon Townsend and a mushroom. It was also hosted by a little 2D animated man, .... I am thinking that this little fellow was animated using a similar technique to Peter Foldes' animation.
I also have recollection of music clips by The Tom Tom Club featuring such a technique.

There is nothing quite like it. The "look" is of a "computerized" nature...but seems to sit within a style, rather than looking cruddy and wrong.. as does quite a substantial amount of (computer)3d animation.

I went to see Spongebob Squarepants the other day. Mmm. I laughed heartily throughout, especially when the "guest star" surfaced! I give it 5 stars.






Mr George Herriman


No comments: