Sunday, September 19, 2004

.
.
Morris Dancing

.
.
Last week I animated a little. It was one of my characters Morris. He sort of spins in all sixties like and then dances a little demented dance with his burnt matchstick sized legs. One leg keeps the funk, the other flips around willy nilly. I think only Michael Jackson could empathise with this manouvre. I could possibly pull it off with a couple of weeks training and a good deal less gravity. (it shall be popped up on my inkwinks site soon).

.
.
There are certain definitions within my paper that keep spreading. ...Which is nice I suppose. However I have realised that these have to be tethered and left to grow of their own accord. Partly the said definitions pertain to defining the creative process. .......maybe the problem is just that I have a feeling of being on the verge of containing some small thread of crisply concise words on the issue. Then I remember the dribs and drabs, husks and sniffs of Derrida's words that at one point lightly perused my thoughts and thus I realise that these "crisply concise words" are beginnig to wriggle and writhe once I begin to jab them a little. Thus thus thus
(i think Derrida should change his name. Once a week. Perhaps with a roster system)
The absolute problem however, is that I DON'T want those crisply concise words, that definition. My answer to definitions has always been a body ( I do believe I am talking about an artists book, a painting, an etching, a song) that contains the ideas woven in such a way so as to illustrate the intended concept. (not that I practice artistic pursuits 8 hours a day).
This is the subtext to my paper and I will leave it here. I leave it uncomfortably. Purposefully. Hoping that nobody will read it...leaving it up because it will niggle me to think that I've left this wodge of words that a) probably would confuse the pants off most. And b) it will be on my mind and possibly I will address these niggles during my slumber (I'll probably just dream of the chocolate and pear pizza that I ate for desert last night).
The joy of words. Images are so much more fun. People tend to be more objective with images. Or do they? This is where I start to veer into personification and anthropomorphism in animation. Which excites me. Though I'd probably spiral back into same paragraph as the one above. Become a loop.


image by Roland Topor