Sunday, April 11, 2004

Not much Chop.


My last day of perching in the loft at PH's abode.
Agnes is still shedding an awful lot of hair and in turn
these hairs have clustered their way across the carpet to permanently afix themselves to nearly every pair of socks that I own. I am most displeased.
Watched Phil Mulloy's animations at ACMI yesterday.
Such lovely, inky raw marks. His drawings are so rough and flustered, but they deliver his ideas perfectly. There were some parts that reminded me of Bruce Petty, the more swift political cartoony parts I suppose.
Overall his ideas are quite clever and sophisticated and the way he portrays his observations of the world are insightful and offer an interesting perspective that can/could only be housed in the form of an animation. Admittedly it was quite hard work to sit throught the whole lot. Why? Well 'coz it was quite gross and thematically pretty dark.

The Sound of Music by
Phil Mulloy



1993, 11 mins, 35mm

(..Welcome to review weekly!)
(tee hee)

Thoughts re ma.....
I have alot of questions that I am exploring. I think I know the answers already, so on the one hand it all seems a little naive to be researching improvisation in animation. I am asking such basic questions with such obvious answers that can be found in any animator's vocabulary or in any animation book, for example, within afew pages of Richard Williams' "The Animator's Survival Kit"
On the other hand ( I quite like this hand metaphor, if I weren't typing I'd be reveling in some form of gesticulation)....on the other hand naivity is a good suit to be in whenst investigating other ways of thinking and being. So thinking that I know the answers, and I do know them I do, is perhaps not a useful strategy whenst researching.
Can I find something else??? I haven't found something else yet. Is there something else to find??
Suddenly I am writing a Country song it seems.
a) A bible and a bus ticket home.

What is the value of improvistion in animation?
Can this be combined with, or inform, or even be utilized through the more efficient(?) animation techniques,methods or tools that are offered through software programmes?

'sall