Thursday, November 10, 2005

Starry Starry Night

Starrynight_exrpt


Here is an excerpt from a comic I did AGES ago. Starry Starry Night was published in Tango. I've been thinking about character and expression, how hard it can be to capture the right expression in a drawing, and indeed an animation. Personally I find that I have to be completey involved in the drawing, not talking or thinking about anything else. A post-wisdom-teeth-removal-migrane can also get in the way of good drawing.
I was reading the Howls Moving Castle (Hauru no Ugoku Shiro) movie-comic yesterday, such fantastic expressions that the characters hold - facially and physically. Each expression delivers the exact feeling of the character with the subtlest of line. The drawings, not just the (animated) movement, express with such clarity a very sophisticated representation of the communication BETWEEN the characters.


Well I am officially now on The Style File. It is a website that showcases Australian book Illustrators. I believe it was set up by the Society of Book Illustrators (SoBI).
Heres the link.

The Style File


I'm moving my computer into my pokey and dark studio today. It'll be a bit of a squish, but it should work. I have a song in my mind, and it won't go away. Is it an 'ear-worm'? - as Stewart would call it. No, its a lovely song, that swoops gently through my mind. An 'ear-worm' niggles and pesters repeatedly. The HIB keeps whistling a radio national show theme tune!

(oh poo. I keep getting spammy coments (since deleted) with people trying to sell stuff! poo stay away spammer)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the comic strip was very hillarious and, har har, i think i can relate to the (main?) character's thinking..

anyway, is there any hidden message in the t-shirt that says "eat grapes" on the mini character on the left? very curious piece of detail ..

100hands said...

The brain is a funny funny thing. :)

inkwinks said...

Yes. Yes it is.

Is there a hidden message? "eat grapes" Hmmmm. Maybe there is...

SO did anyone notice that the main character in Starry Starry night has 6 fingers? An even curiouser piece of detail.

Anonymous said...

what are you talking about :)
i see people with 6 fingers much more often than people wearing 'eat grapes' t-shirts..

modroom said...

If the t-shirt said "eat brains" then I would be worried, especially if it was my brains. Grapes I have no problem with.