Sunday, June 12, 2005

miaf



Around the corner is the Melbourne International Animation Festival.

They are screening Nibbles by Chris Hinton, and also Steven Woloshen's latest, Snip!
Nibbles has a fabulous skeleton-dance at the end, which I no doubt raved about in one of my earlier blog entries. Cameras Take Five an animation by Woloshen, screened in the MIAF festival last year, featured heavily in my research project " Improvisation in Animation". Woloshen's work houses an honest time-based expression of the relationship between mark-making and sound. I am passionate about his work as I sense a real affinity between his work and the ideas and processes that I have worked with in many of my paintings and etchings. It'll be interesting to see his latest. On that note I'm also curious about the VJ aspect of the MIAF festival Remains to be seen.


One was reading an article on Garth Paine in Realtime (mag) the other morning whilst shoveling eggs down one's gob, and lo and behold.. "Garth Paine is also concentrating on live performance, experimenting with using a Wacom Graphics tablet as a musical interface." . MM interesting.

Sadly no Evert de Beijer, no Dumala, nor is there any Daniel Guyonnet!
Perhaps I have missed previous years screening of these animator's work?? Yes...I think We are immortal by Guyonnet was screened in 2000...sigh




Piotr Dumala
Perhaps they'll do a Paul Driessen special instead of Bill Plympton's Hair High...which has been pulled from the festival. (?)



I have seen a snippet of Priit Parn's animation Karl and Marilyn...and can't wait.

by Priit Parn


It is so nice to see animation which houses the idea in the mark (of the pencil) as well as in the whole (story,style,script,etc). 2D or not 2D by Paul Driessen is one that comes to mind. There's a certain authenticity which whispers secretly from the drawn line out to the audience/viewer. Perhaps unheard. Experienced nonetheless.

No comments: