Saturday, June 19, 2004

oo
`

WHY.

"When I write a script, I lie down -- because that's the opposite of standing up. I stand up to edit, so I lie down to write. I take a little tape recorder and, without being aware of it, go into a light hypnotic trance. I pretend the film is finished and I'm simply describing what was happening. I start out chronologically but then skip around. Anything that occurs to me, I say into the recorder. Because I'm lying down, because my eyes are closed, because I'm not looking at anything, and the ideas are being captured only by this silent scribe -- the tape recorder -- there's nothing for me to criticize. It's just coming out.

That is my way of disarming the editorial side. Putting myself in a situation that is as opposite as possible to how I edit, both physically and mentally. To encourage those ideas to come out of the woods like little animals and drink at the pool safely, without feeling that the falcon is going to come down and tear them apart."
Walter Murch
laweekly
SEPTEMBER 20 - 26, 2002



HOW.

Styles more condusive to improvisation.
eg
director and animator
George Geertsen.
The sound design moves well in the space.
Sound designer John Weldon.


And then...
Funnily enough I discover that this animation is actually a 3d animation if you wear special glasses! I don't think it is improvised, or perhaps initially it was and then "fiddled" with in Post-production to make it 3d. Here is the link to contextualize the George Geertsen animation.

Well and however, I think the morphing (no cuts) style illustrates my point.
I RREALLY wish I could find some Bruce Bickford snippets to pop up as an example also. His claymation is quite psychedelic, and indeed "Baby Snakes" is drug induced. It is really quite incredible to watch.




No comments: