Wednesday, May 05, 2004

"fleew"

Mild thoughts about definitions occur to me as I read about Shamus Culhane's discovery of improvisation within his own working methods.
His banter, which is essentially about creating "flow" , relates to the look and feel of the character being animated. He talks about feeling everything that the character being drawn feels. ( I'll extrapolate on this later). Perhaps, because this is quite a personal and somewhat special experience, many animators prefer not to talk about this indepth. Why analyse it? It seems a little twee to pin simpleton words to such an experience.
However, to get to the/a point, I think that this kind of "flow" is only a part of this idea of improvisation in animation that I am talking of. The flow can be utilized as a part of the production method to create a narrative. This method is what Kentridge uses. Perhaps every animator either works this way intuitively at some point, or plays around with this process.
...mmm.

What I'm trying to do here is pinpoint my initial idea/concept/question. With words.
That make sense.

(what I discover when I re-read this blog is that I've written a mere skeleton of the ideas that I am
thinking of and that they don't quite say all that is on my mind, pff which is fine. It's a blog.)

Watched Creature Comforts last night. One thing that struck me as I watched was how wonderful and varied all of the accents in the UK are, and how more often than not most of the British media we experience tends to have actors speaking in a, perhaps one could say.., a rather well-to-do fashion.
Is this true?
...more thoughts here, plus afew stories, but I best go and read more.
Don't want to fail now do I.