Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Not Much


There is not too much to add at present.
Why do I want to know if one can improvise in animation..?

The man accross the road who stole the peaches from my peach tree in January just came home.
I'd like to throw a peach at his head.

I had a big billowing conversation with a(n actor) friend last night. One of the 'actory' type ventures he is involved in is the Playback Theatre at Gasworks in Albert Park. They intice someone from the audience to give them a life story and then they act it out. They improvise and don't neccessarily stick to a conventional interpretation of the story that the audience member has given them.
How does improvising compare to a scripted and rehearsed play?
Well even though he knows the story, how it unfolds and how it resolves, he doesn't know what he's going to say, how he's going to move or how the other actors are going to respond to him.
Therefor even though there is a story, essentially it is being created in the moment. Which is really quite exciting for the audience and the actors.
This improvisation process in acting brings life to the story.
hmmm
So whats animation about?
Am I sounding a little twee?


Am I actually trying to structure some kind of argument here?
No not realllly, I am still just thinking.
I have always been fascinated by why one of my drawings looks so much more spirited than another. For example why does the first draft of my comic story look so much more alive than the second..albiet a little messy. Is this only the case when I am improvising a comic. How do my characters differ when I script, storyboard and draft the piece carefully?
My questions about animation have been with me for many years as they pertain also to the creation of comics.
Why were my brother's comics always so much better than mine?


Am I still talking about preproduction? How to utilize preproduction......
Or.
Am I talking about the drawn mark the animator and comic artist makes?
Or am I talking about improvising the idea or the journey of the story.........hmmmm Bill Plympton for example.
Is his animation one great big animated flow of doodled ideas, where he knows not what next his character will do?
Or does he stage it all with story board and other preproduction neccessities.?

I'm sure he works both ways, as do I in my comic making...and seemingly so in my animating also(but theres more of that to come....that is if I stop this waffling on and on)

Still these are just thoughts.

I am just thinking about how lovely the little white bunnything (chibitotoro) in Totoro is, when Mei first sees him....he sort of walks through the surface of the ground. I'd like to do that.