Sunday, October 17, 2004

Little Beasties

Class Chilopoda
Order Scutigerida
Comon name: House centipede

The beastie (pictured on the far left) was scuttling around the picture rail in my room on Friday night. It's movement was fluid and swift and it's overwhelming clatter of legs fueled me with adrenalin. I had a vision of it hurtling into my bed and scuttling up my nose or in my ears. After a few jousts with a large stick and a flick of a rolled up bit of paper ( a piece of my research paper infact) it was tossed out the window. It writhed and wriggled as it fell one story down and landed with a "paff" onto a big pile of leaves. Yich!!

Animation research paper news......Well I've managed to chop out 3000 words. Now I just need to chop out another 3000. :(

I spotted a tortoise today on my travels. Well it's nostrils atleast. They were just popping out above the water cruising along. At first I thought it was just a pair of nostrils out for a swim, it was such beautiful weather today. Then softly his little eyes appeared along with a hint of shell. I really wanted to see his excellent little legs paddling away but he dissappeared. So I continued on my merry way, though as I turned back I saw the nostrils re-emerge further away.


And so. An excerpt from my paper. Just for me to ponder. Often I find that I tend to refine thoughts in the process of blogging.
:::::::::::::::::::improv paper:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Willliam Kentridge explores components of his narrative utilizing his rich source of experience that includes a long history of working with the same methods and materials and content/theme/characters.
One suggestion of a technique is to include improvisation in the production stage of animation, and to adhere to thorough pre-production exercises, as Kentridge does. The outcome of the work may reflect the animator’s current level of skill and this is precisely the point that needs to be made, that the technique of improvisation needs to, and can be acknowledged and developed as a skill, along with the many other skills that are necessary to develop as an animator. As with the comparisons I have given, there are dancers, musicians and theatre actors whom have improvised from very early on in their career, however those who choose to continue to work with improvisation as a technique to include, or to perform within their craft, have developed a sophisticated language that involves a developed skill of an improvisation technique. One could say that their pre-production has included this development of such a language.



Sea Slug Forum